Home kidney stone treatment is sometimes the only thing you can do to treat your kidney stones. The majority of home treatments include drinking more water on a regular basis. However, what some people do not realize is they more than likely are going to be required to also collect their urine for their doctor. In many cases the doctor will ask a patient to collect their urine in order to determine the exact type of kidney stones the individual is suffering from.
Here are a few tips to follow to help you with home kidney stone treatment:
1. The first and probably most beneficial thing for you to do is to try and drink a minimum of 1 glass of water every hour. This will help your body to pass the kidney stone. Your urine should be clear. However, it is important that you speak with your medical care provider before you begin any at home treatment or regimen, even one that only uses water.
2. Avoid drinking grapefruit juice while you are trying to pass a kidney stone. It is more likely that you will begin producing more kidney stones instead of getting the existing stone out of your body.
3. Avoiding specific foods might also prove to be beneficial for you. Here are a few of the foods and beverages you should consider avoiding while you are passing your kidney stone.
- dairy products
- black tea
- leafy green veggies
4. More than likely you are going to want to take something for the discomfort and pain that is often associated with the passing of kidney stones. You should consult your doctor before you take anything over the counter or prescribed. But, here are a few options for you to assist in relieving the discomfort.
- NSAIDs are often adequate for reducing the discomfort
Although you might be tempted to just jump right in and start a home kidney stone treatment it is absolutely necessary that you speak with your medical care provider before you do anything. It is possible that you might not be able to take certain medications because there is a possibility of a drug interaction. If you are on a special diet, it might not be in your best interests to change that.